Education quality is a big problem, with Nigeria performing worst out of 22 sub-Saharan and North African countries rated by the World Bank in 2008. The main contributing factors are poor physical facilities, inadequate sanitation, lack of textbooks and the number of unqualified teachers.
What are the causes of illiteracy in Nigeria?
The major causes of adult illiteracy in Nigeria can be summarised as:
- Problems in primary education (low enrolment rates, high dropout rates, inadequate facilities, poor teaching/learning materials, ir relevant curriculum);
- Poor enrolment rates in adult literacy programmes;
Why is there a lack of education in Nigeria?
The government considers children attending such schools to be officially out-of-school. The education deprivation in northern Nigeria is driven by various factors, including economic barriers and socio-cultural norms and practices that discourage attendance in formal education, especially for girls.
What causes low literacy rates?
Some of the causes of low literacy in adults are:
- Undiagnosed learning disabilities.
- Hearing or vision loss.
- Lack of a role model, i.e. no one in the family or household stresses reading or education.
- Poverty or a focus on survival needs rather than education.
What is the main causes of illiteracy?
What is the main cause of illiteracy? Illiteracy in India is because of a complex web of social and economic divide in the country. Economic disparities, gender discrimination, caste discrimination, and technological barriers lead to illiteracy in India.
What are the reasons of illiteracy in our society?
Factors of Illiteracy in Pakistan:
- Low Income.
- Low quality jobs.
- Bad access to life holds professional development.
- Not self sufficient.
- Lack of health facility.
- Bad system of education in Pakistan.
- Precious education.
Which state is the most intelligent in Nigeria?
Every ethnic group, has their own unique intelligence, success and educational achievements. While the Igbos are successful traders, businessmen and are entrepreneurial in nature, the women are more educated than the men, and Imo state a state in the South-East is ranked as the most literate state in Nigeria.
Which country has the highest literacy rate 2020?
Finland is the world’s most literate nation, according to new research, with the UK coming in 17th, behind countries including the US, Canada and Australia.
What is the 9 3 4 system of education in Nigeria?
The 9-3-4 System
The introduction of 9-3-4 system of education in Nigeria, students are required to enter secondary school after spending a minimum of nine years of primary education and passed a prescribed national entrance examination. The students must spend a minimum period of six years in secondary school.
What is the full meaning of 6 3 3 4 system of education in Nigeria?
With the introduction of the 6-3-3-4 system of education in Nigeria, the recipient of the education would spend six years in primary school, three years in junior secondary school, three years in senior secondary school, and four years in a tertiary institution.
Why is low literacy rate bad?
According to research, low literacy levels are often correlated with poor health outcomes, including higher rates of hospitalization and more frequent outpatient visits, than when compared to adults with higher levels of literacy.
How do you solve low literacy?
Ways to overcome illiteracy
- Use incentives attractive to children and parents to overcome negative attitudes towards education. …
- Overcome geographical barriers in (but not limited to) developing countries. …
- Running advocacy and targeted programs to encourage gender parity in schools in developing and emerging countries.
What country has the lowest literacy rate?
Countries With The Lowest Literacy Rates In The World
|Rank||Country||Literacy Rate (%)|
|1||South Sudan||27.0 %|
|3||Burkina Faso||28.7 %|