The major wines are Chenin Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Sauvignon Blanc, and Colombard, a French white variety traditionally used for Cognac. There’s also a fair amount of Merlot and Chardonnay, along with Pinotage, which is largely considered to be South Africa’s signature variety.
What is South Africa’s most popular wine?
Top 10 South African red wines
- Malbec 2015. Mt Vernon. …
- Syrah 2018. Glen Carlou. …
- Skyfall Cabernet Sauvignon 2015. Bartinney. …
- Southern Point Shiraz-Merlot 2019. International Procurement and Logistics. …
- Royal Nymphomane 2015. La Vierge. …
- The Best Shiraz 2019. Morrisons. …
- Chocoholic Pinotage 2018. Darling Cellars. …
- Syrah 2018. La Motte.
Does South Africa produce wine?
The majority of wine production in South Africa takes place in the Cape, particularly the south-west corner near the coastal region. The historical heart of South African wine has been the area near the Cape Peninsula and modern-day Cape Town.
Is wine from South Africa good?
South African wines offer impressively good value, and feature styles and tastes that are food friendly, blending elegance and power. … At one time, the sweet wine of Constantia was the most prized in the world. The most important South African wine regions are around the two cities of Stellenbosch and Paarl.
What wine is unique to South Africa?
South Africa Has Its Own Unique Wine – Pinotage
Chenin Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon are currently the most widely planted varietals in South Africa, but Pinotage is the only one that is unique to South Africa.
What is the most expensive wine in South Africa?
Most Expensive South African Wine
|Wine Name||Grape||Avg Price|
|Kanonkop Black Label Pinotage, Stellenbosch, South Africa||Pinotage||$164|
|The Sadie Family Die Ouwingerdreeks ‘Mev. Kirsten’ Chenin Blanc, Stellenbosch, South Africa||Chenin Blanc||$142|
|4G Wines The Echo Of G Red, Western Cape, South Africa||Rare Red Blend||$139|
What is the best quality wine?
The 15 best wines of 2021
|1||Adrianna Vineyard||Best overall wine|
|2||Sine Qua Non||Best premium|
|3||Grgich Hills Estate||Best value|
|4||Screaming Eagle||Most expensive|
Who started the wine industry in South Africa?
Three Centuries of Cape Wine
But much more evolved than that – the establishment of a trading station led to a flourishing wine industry and later to the birth of a nation. Jan van Riebeeck, the first governor of the Cape, planted a vineyard in 1655, and on 2 February 1659, the first wine was made from Cape grapes.
What is the best South African white wine?
Top 15 South African white wines
- Missionvale Chardonnay 2018. …
- Apogée Chardonnay 2018. …
- (Stellenbosch Manor) Barrel Fermented Chenin Blanc 2019. …
- 1707 White Reserve 2019. …
- Old Vine Chenin Blanc 2019. …
- Endura Single Vineyard Chenin Blanc 2017. …
- The Bernard Series Whole Bunch Roussanne 2020. …
- Albertus Viljoen Chenin Blanc 2018.
Which is the best red wine?
The 10 Finest Indian Red Wines You Need On Your Shelf!
- Big Banyan Merlot.
- Four Seasons Barrique Reserve Shiraz.
- La Reserve by Grover Zampa.
- Reserve Tempranillo By Charosa.
- York Arros.
- Reveilo Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon.
- KRSMA Sangiovese.
- Myra Cabernet Sauvignon.
Which wine is good for health?
Red wine has been widely acknowledged for its high concentration of resveratrol, a potent antioxidant found in grape skins ( 23 , 24 ). In fact, red wine has up to 10 times more resveratrol than white wine ( 24 ). Red wine likely provides more health benefits than white wine.